[78-L] Kurt Nauck's Auctions.

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat May 7 18:08:36 PDT 2011

> I just find it dimaying that his standard minimum for 78's is $3...
> being an old-age pensioner and thus a LONG way from
> rich...! Whatever happened to Peter Leavitt...who was selling
> off a noted LARGE collection of 78's, and whose list often
> included near-complete numeric runs of lesser (i.e. NOT
> Victor or Columbia) record labels...?! I am buying a LOT of
> 78's from Nick J...who often offers lesser-known-series
> 78's...!
>
> All I want is a copy of EVERY non-classical 78 known to
> exist (even though I'll need a LOT more milk boxes...?!).
> How I'll store the dommed things remains to be seen...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Steven,

I'm not sure what happened to Peter Leavitt,  but I think he may have grown
older and retired and maybe passed away.  And you're talking about auctions
from about 20 or more years ago.   The other day I found a receipt from the
first mail order auction I ever bid on...a November 1965 Record Research
list and I won the Armstrong Okeh of Heah Me Talkin to Ya for $1.75 which
was a lot of money for a 12-year old at the time.  And I used to buy at
auction from  Barney Crosby and win nice things for less than a buck
each...but that was more than 40 years ago.

I doubt if Leavitt or Crosby were still around that  they would be all
excited about auctioning records for a buck each.

I can't conceive of anyone bothering to list something on line for sale for
less than three bucks...does it seem reasonable to you,  Steven,  that
someone would go to all the work to do a mail order auction and not expect
to get something back for his time and efforts,  other than a nice warm
"thanks" and some loose change?

Not that this is the first time we've had this discussion,  but...since you
brought it up again...that's my comment.

Taylor