[78-L] Museum quality?

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat May 7 09:44:01 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Sadly we don't yet have a "78 rpm museum" (other than my
> half-vast shellac archive///?!)...!

What-chu talkin' 'bout, Steven? All of us hoary old 78 collectors
have "78 rpm museums." Some of those "museums" are more private than
others, perhaps...but quite a few of us apparently welcome visitors.
Some "museums" are larger than others (mine contains about 25,000
items; yours is, so you state, about half-again larger; Lennick's
is...well, an order of magnitude larger...). But "museums" they are!

And how many museums (regular ones) out there, if they indeed had 78
records on display, would allow the treasures to be dismounted from
the walls and actually Played And Enjoyed (tm)?

> What we need is a physical
> version of the "Abrams Files"...I am working on this...!

Several people are. Ty Settlemier's Online Discography Project is
based on the Abrams Files. I am currently "massaging" all that data
in Excel spreadsheets. (And yes, it requires a LOT of massaging. The
Abrams Files are, by design, hampered by abbreviations and omissions,
and do contain more than a few out-and-out errors.)

This is getting away from the original aim of this thread, but that
might be a good thing.

Take care,

Joe
--