[78-L] Your Mother's Son-In-Law - BG and Billie Holiday on Columbia Blue Shellac

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Sat May 7 03:52:15 PDT 2011

If Teddy Wilson was complimentary about Sarah Vaughan and not Billie
Holiday, I suspect it had something to do with Sarah Vaughan's musicality.
Don't get me wrong; BOTH were great, but for different reasons. Billie
Holiday's greatness was in her ability to make a song 'her own' by the way
she phrased, and didn't stick closely to the published melody. Her approach
was not unlike Louis Armstrong's, but nevertheless quite revolutionary among
singers for the time. But Teddy Wilson, the consummate musician that he was,
may have been far more impressed by singers who understood the
technicalities of the music. The harmonic content. I don't know, but I think
it possible that for all Billie Holiday's greatness, she may have struggled
to pitch difficult songs, and needed some help. Sarah Vaughan's musicality
may even have been in advance of Teddy Wilson's own, and he would have
recognised her greatness in this respect.
More often than not, the 'best' singers are often great for reasons OTHER
than their technical musical ability.

Tim Huskisson