[78-L] Museum quality?

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Sat May 7 00:47:42 PDT 2011

While the ridiculously high-priced items are mostly of interest to label
collectors, I find it ironic that two Gospel records (A Homestead and a
Black Swan) a Hawaiian Timely Tunes, and an interesting Dance band
Electradisc, of the  most interest to us jazz and Hot Dance collectors,
actually all have the lowest starting price at $24.99.  He probably has an
untenable Reserve though.

He's not a fraud, just misguided, he does actually HAVE the stuff.  I think
by "Museum Quality" he simply means that these are vintage items you would
generally only see in a museum or dedicated collection.  He should say
instead "Museum piece."..

I once saw a Victor reissue 78 of Duke Ellington's "Take the "A" train"
offered in the classifieds for $3000.  I actually phoned, out of curiosity.
It was the only 78 he had, found in a box somewhere, and he thought that
almost no 78s were still in existence.

Steve Williams  ..

Message: 6