[78-L] Your Mother's Son-In-Law - BG and Billie Holiday on Columbia Blue Shellac

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 6 07:55:34 PDT 2011

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> ===============
>> Was that where he described Holiday as "singing as if her boots were too
>> tight"? The best Wilson piano I've heard from that period was with Red
>> Evans and Chick Bullock. That must tell you something?
>>
>>      Julian Vein
>

> Well,  let's have some specific sides...I love his stuff with Willie Bryant
> from around then.
>
> Taylor
==============
This session:

Redd Evans
Redd Evans (vcl) acc by tp, as/fl, ts, p, g, b and d
New York, April 17, 1939
W24381-B   They cut down the old pine tree    Voc 4836, OK 4836
W24382-A    Red wing       -
    OK 4836
W24383-B    Carry me back to the lone prairie        4920
W24384-A    Red River Valley       -

and with Bullock, "Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" (12 February
1941).

And, of course, "From The Land Of The Sky Blue Water" with Mildred
Bailey (master take -2).

      Julian Vein