[78-L] ARSC^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu May 5 20:39:30 PDT 2011

From: "Philip Carli" <Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu>
> Unfortunately even Europe has been eviscerating train services because of
> "conservative" values of business over public service.  Rail service in
> Italy, for example, has been reduced by nearly a third over the last two
> years, and UK fares are rapacious -- over 100 pounds London-Manchester
> return if bought on day of travel and 86 if bought in advance.  That's
> only a 2 1/2 hr trip each way.  With petrol at 1.30/ltr as of last month
> (again _pounds_) and unaffordable trains people are becoming more isolated
> in Britain again.  PC

Well, postal mail became obsolete (and unprofitable) some years
ago; as a result it costs me over a buck to send a money order
(which AFAIK can't be transmitted digitally...?!) to a record
seller on the west (Pacific) coast. It has since become possible
to send/exchange images and sound "events" in the form of
digital "files." The ultimate step (and I expect to see this done)
is the digital transmission of actual solid objects...even living
animals, possibly including humans...?!). Of course, this can
get complicated...if you, your pet, an ant or an amoeba can
exist as a digital "file,"...like all such "files" perfect copies can
be made...! Does this then mean that we can acquire our
"significant other" by looking through a database of digitally
"available" opposite (or same?) sex "items" Yup...I'll take #1322...
e-mail me a copy ASAP...!

Basic fact: ANY object consists of an array of subatomic
particles. The number of these is VERY large...but still
finite. As computer speeds increase and the amount of
"handle-able" data does likewise...! At some future
point it will be possible to create a VERY VERY large
digital file containing an instantaneous file of data which
describes the exact position of each of the ???illion
particles which comprise the object in question. Once
this can be documented in digital form...copies of the
resulting data file can be transmitted to "receivers" which
can reconstruct an exactly-similar set of particles...or, in
a practical sense, an EXACT copy of this object...!

It remains to be seen (it hasn't occured yet.../!) if these
copies of actual living things will emerge as equally-living
beings...?!

Steven C. Barr