[78-L] More border stories...WAS: ARSC

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 4 20:09:39 PDT 2011

Okeh...I had already decided to move to Canada (I was marrying
a Canadian lady) in 1972...but I had to finish my university before
I could move. As a result I made a trip to Toronto from Bloomington
every couple of months...bringing whatever odds and ends I had
picked up- since the last trup...!

One trip this was about 3-400 78's...IIRC in milk boxes. The customs
folks didn't know how to charge duty on 78's...I always crought along
a copy of my Dating Guide to show them that the records were over
50 years old and thus not dutiable (I think this was changed to 100
years later...but that was well after I had finished my move...!).

On another trip, I stopped at a farm auction along the way...and was
the successful bidder (c. $5) on a lot of around 40 hubcaps. I drove
up to the border with my rear seat FULL of hubcaps...when they
asked "anything to declare?" I replied "about 40 hubcaps...they're
all back there!" They finally gave up and waved me through...they
probably had no idea what the duty on used hubcaps might have been!

Then finally there was the trip I made in a Rambler I borrowed from
a good friend! I forgot to ask her for any documentation...and she
forgot to giveme the trunk key! This led to complications at the
border; first, I had to explain why my name wasn't either on the
documents (which I didn't have in any case...!) or on a computer
check of the plates; next they asked me to open the trunk, and
I told them I didn't have the key for that! I have no idea what they
thought I was up to...but they finally waved me into Canada...
trunk unchecked and car not in my name! Of course that was
before 9/11...back when we all trusted one another...?!

Steven C. Barr