[78-L] passports ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed May 4 08:28:50 PDT 2011

On 5/4/2011 11:21 AM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> dl wrote:
>
> We don't NEED passports but they're better to have.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Well you don't need passports to walk the streets of Toronto, but if you want to
> cross into the USA, by any conveyance, you need your passport or the enhanced
> drivers license, whatever that is.
>
> db

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/menu-eng.html
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all
travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport
*or other approved secure document* when entering the United States from within
the western hemisphere.

When entering the United States by land or water, Canadian citizens are
required to present one of the following valid documents: a passport, a NEXUS
card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver's
licence/enhanced identification card or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status
(when this certificate is available and approved by the United States).

Canadian citizens flying to the United States must present a valid passport to
confirm their citizenship and identity. A NEXUS card is also acceptable when
using a self-serve kiosk located in the pre-clearance area at designated
Canadian airports.

The Government of Canada continues to recommend that Canadian citizens carry a
valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United
States. A passport is the only universally-accepted identification document,
and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. To find out how to
obtain a Canadian passport, visit Passport Canada's Web site
(www.passportcanada.gc.ca).

Members of the NEXUS program are still required to carry appropriate
documentation when travelling into Canada by air in addition to their NEXUS card.