[78-L] ARSC Awards 2011: Finalists - rules for inclusion

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 28 17:29:51 PDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 7:59 PM, Steve Ramm wrote:

> Cary's on the committe so he might know better but I think it may be because the book is an UPDATE and REVISED version of earlier research and I thought that awards could only be given for completely new works.

Peter Fulop's "Mahler Discography" is on the list, and I assume it is a
revised update of his 1995 edition -- with the same title -- which I
have in front of me.

> The Title of the book is" The Collector's Guide to Victor Records (2nd Edition)
>
> And I don't ever remember aa finalist being a (2nd or revised edition).

I think the photographs are close to 100% different, as is probably 80%
of the written words.  If they had used a different title -- like Mike
did when the previous edition replaced "The Paper Dog" -- would that
have made any difference at all???

> I certainly think that - if eligible - Kurt and Mike would have sent a copy to the judges.
>
> Steve

I would think so too, unless a high percentage of the committee had
already bought copies and they might not have known that free copies
were also required.  Is this requirement spelled out?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com