[78-L] ARSC Awards 2011: Finalists

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 28 09:39:28 PDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 9:46 AM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> Unfortunately, the judging committee cannot consider a work if the publisher does not distribute reviewers' copies. Many worthy books do not get consideration because of this.

My goodness!  I never heard this.  Do the publishers know?????  Is it
part of the stated rules?

>   It's unfortunate, but as a judge on the committee, I cannot properly gauge a book's quality based on second-hand recommendations (the Victor book wasn't in my selected category anyway). Similarly, we get no stipends for purchasing books and hundreds are often submitted or considered for the awards. We have to rely on the good graces of the publishers to send copies for consideration to the panel.
>
> Cary Ginell

In past years I recall occasional slips of paper in display copies that
this book is not in the silent auction because it is the property of
so-and-so.  I had assumed that one of the judges sent around his copy of
the book to the rest of the committee.

Mike (VERY disappointed) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com