[78-L] Late Pressed 78s.--Historic Masters & Symposium

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 27 23:03:21 PDT 2011

On 4/27/2011 8:29 PM, Milan P Milovanovic wrote:
> Somewhere I read that in the archives metal matrces were covered with a thin
> layer of wax to protect them from oxidation. Was it common practice?

Not from what I've seen of Victor and Columbia.  They are in just thick
cardboard sleeves.  Many (if not all) of the Edison Diamond Disc masters
are stored with a metal grown onto it and not split apart.  That would
result in both a positive and negative.  There are also many unprocessed
disc masters in their original wax form.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com