[78-L] Late-pressed 78rpm records - since about 1970

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Mon Apr 25 08:46:11 PDT 2011

Thanks, Cary and Ron, for the encouraging words about my Bix 78 set.
The pressings were done by Record Industry in the Netherlands. I went
to them because in my opinion, they are one of the few plants in the
world still turning out premium audiophile-grade pressings. (And they
were one of the few willing to master a 78rpm record. Most other
plants laughed me off when I proposed the idea.) Record Industry is a
bit more expensive than most; in fact, the actual cost of producing
the 2-record set is scarcely below what I'm selling them for. My
profit margin is about $2 to $3 per set. These days, 10-inch pressings
are more expensive to make than 7-inch or 12-inch (probably because
they have the least demand), and special packaging for two 10-inch
records (printed sleeves and jackets) is also more expensive than any
other size. 10-inch gatefold jackets are outrageous. Even to get a
"wide-spine" single pocket jacket that would accommodate two records
cost about $800 more than standard single-disc jacket -- just to get
that extra 2mm! I'm sorry that the price for the records is as high as
it is, but it reflects the high cost of producing such specialty vinyl
these days.

Incidentally, I do have another Rivermont 78 in the works...not my own
playing this time, but a single disc of a fantastic jazz band recorded
just last month. I'll of course post a notice here when it's ready.

Bryan W.