[78-L] Kitty, Daisy, & Lewis (was late pressed 78s)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Apr 25 04:47:38 PDT 2011

Here's a brief documentary on the group from a Belgian website, which shows Lewis Durham's home studio, which is filled with vintage record-cutting equipment and ribbon microphones, which they use to record their music. The 78 rpm album is issued along with a CD version, so you can compare the "liveness" of the sound for each format. Durham is only 20, but he is an analog fiend, determined to replicate the sound of the old 78s he is fond of. Listen to the excerpt of their live performance of Elvis' "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and you will see that they already have a huge fan base in Europe. Why did it take so long for them to be heard here? Their first 78 set came out three years ago and their new one makes its debut at the end of May. Their repertoire seems to span the gamut of North and South American roots music. Beginning with rockabilly, country, and blues, they appear to have expanded into calypso, jazz, ska, and other Western musical forms. I dig these kids. The question is: how did he come across so much vintage equipment and get it so inexpensively?

http://www.cobra.be/cm/cobra/cobra-mediaplayer/muziek/1.1009698

Cary Ginell