[78-L] Identity of female singer?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 24 21:40:09 PDT 2011

Follow up. Nat Shilkret wrote about the Gershwin and Herbert albums in his
posthumous autobiography "60 Years in the Music Business". In 1938-39 he wanted
to produce albums devoted to single composers, as he'd done in the 20s, and
proposed a budget of $20,000 for eight albums. Victor countered with an offer
to have Shilkret do the music as two Magic Key radio broadcasts and pay him
$1000 per album and a nice little royalty of 10% of the retail price of each
album (he eventually made $250,000 by the way). The first album was a Gershwin
Memorial, with a Victor Herbert set scheduled next. There was minimal rehearsal
time and no chance to listen to playbacks to correct balance, so what went over
the air was what would be recorded. Eight minutes before the end of the
Gershwin broadcast, two men (an oboist and a harpist) were removed because the
contractor had forgotten they'd be needed for a Toscanini rehearsal. Shilkret
was pretty put out over this and for the second album he put together his own
orchestra and insisted on doing the Magic Key broadcast and then the recording
session as a separate entity an hour later. And that's where Ann Jamison, Jan
Peerce and company enter the story.

dl