[78-L] Beach Boys 78

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 22 13:32:53 PDT 2011

156rpm..it's a New York Philharmonic concert conducted by Arvid Kurtz from
Collins Auditorium, Fordham University, broadcast over WFUV-FM, transferred to
78RPM lacquers except that the last 4 sides are playing at half speed. The
aircheck must have been recorded at 15IPS and someone switched the tape
playback to 7.5 before transferring the last portion to disc, or the aircheck
was at 7.5 and someone switched it while recording (or the last reel was
recorded at 15). Odd, because the discs are in slide auto sequence so the
number of discs needed was known and you'd think somebody would have caught
such a whopping error.

dl