[78-L] Climax Double Disc Records

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:02:55 PDT 2011

Here I go with trying to distill a long, involved tale down to bare
essentials....

At the outset of the 20th century Victor and Columbia were basically trying
to sue one another out of the disc business via patent infringement cases.
Near the end of 1901 Eldridge Johnson and Victor's then-vice president Leon
Douglass initiated discussions with the Burt Company whose Globe Record
Company offshoot was the disc record manufacturing arm of Columbia.
Apparently there were at the time some problems between Globe and American
Graphophone.

In January 1902, while Columbia head Edward Easton was in Europe, Johnson
and Douglass bought Globe from Burt for $10000 and the promise of extensive
future business.

Then the Columbia stampers were packed up and shipped to Camden and there
they were stamped with an encircled VTM.

Easton was in shock when he returned to America.  Negotiations began
straightaway with the Victor company....Johnson agreed to return the Globe
operation to Easton/Columbia for the price he paid for it, under the
condition that all pending lawsuits against Victor would be dropped.

Columbia regained control of Globe in February 1902 and later bought Burt
outright.  The Burt operation was then relocated to Bridgeport, Connecticut
across from the Graphophone plant.  It seems the records with the VTM
stamping were only produced for a number of months afterward (I expect there
was a lot of re-recording activity to produce new master parts that wouldn't
have that stamping).