[78-L] Beach Boys 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 22 08:54:28 PDT 2011

At 15:07 22/04/2011, DB wrote:
>I just received my copies of "Good Vibrations" on 78 and although
>it's spinning
>in shining splendour on my Credenza, I thought I should find out some
>information before I lower the arm onto it.
>
>1 What size stylus do I use to play it?

I think it is microgroove

>2 It supposedly had a run of 5,000 but one of mine is numbered
>6965?  (I know,
>that doesn't sound like a question.)

I hear there is going to be a convention in LA of everyone having
that particular number. Seriously, I wonder if they randomised the
numbers so as to make it difficult to get the lowest number -- as in
the Beatles' White Album -- Serial Number 1

>3 Why in the world does it say on the label "Vocal group with Theremin"?

Somehow this sounds like retro-sillies. I'm surprised it doesn't also
say 'Foxtrot' or 'Jaunty Two Step' a la non-contemporary 78s.

I am curious about the actual disc configuration. For example, What
size and style label did they use -- lp size or 10 inch size. If they
used a 78/ 10-inch style label, is the landing area for the label
larger than the label (lp size).

Also -- what style label did they use .. Capitol Orange/ Yellow swirl
as was used on the 45, a rainbow as was used on Capitol lps at that
time and later on 45s, a retro purple currently used on Capitol 45s,
or 78 rpm era purple -- or even black