[78-L] Beach Boys 78

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Apr 22 08:32:28 PDT 2011

The electronic instrument used on "Good Vibrations" was an
electro-theremin, an instrument constructed by Paul Tanner, similar to a
theremin in sound but, perhaps, even more related to the ondes
marteneau, which also used a physical "slider" to control the pitch.
The theremin is operated by moving your hands between antennas, whereby
both pitch and volume is controlled.
There has been some controversy whether a theremin was used or not on
the recording; I remember Bob Moog categorically denying that a
traditional theremin was used when he lectured in Gothenburg many years
ago. He claimed to have been present in the studio at the time of the
recording and never "saw" a theremin (pun not intended). He couldn't
tell, however, if it was an ondes martenau or some other instrument.
These links probably settle the matter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro-theremin
Kristjan