[78-L] inter-aural level differences

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Apr 21 21:27:27 PDT 2011

Don Cox wrote:

They can't be totally irrelevant, or pan-potted stereo would not work at
all. All the instruments would seem to be in the centre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were early experiments in stereo where they gathered an audience of golden
ears to demonstrate which sound characteristics provide the most accurate
imaging information.  Two speakers were set up and a mono sound source,
(probably a 78), was varied in level only between the speakers, (using a
traditional pan pot).  The audience was able to locate the source accurately to
20 or more positions between the speakers.  Then the source was played again but
this time the sound level from each speaker was the same but the sound from one
speaker was delayed relative to the other speaker.  When the time was alligned,
the sound clearly seemed to come from a position half way between the speakers.
 When they started delaying the sound to one speaker, (at mili-second
increments), the image became unfocused until a difference of about 20
mili-seconds was reached, at which point the sound clearly seemed to come from
the advanced, (un delayed), speaker.  Consequently, the conclusion was reached
that the ear uses inter-aural level differences to locate sound sources.

This conclusion was wrong.

Ears are designed to deal with natural sounds, not sounds from speakers.  Never
in nature does the same sound occur at two different times.  The sounds we hear
consist of an infinite number of mono sound sources each of which have only one
position in space.  When the sounds from speakers are time alligned, the
positions of the speakers themselves provide the necessary time differences.  To
give an example, say the moving sound source is positioned halfway between the
centre and the left speaker.  Since the speakers are alligned, the speakers
produce the wave at the same instance and the wave front from one speaker is
identical to the wave front from the other speaker except lower in amplitude.
 The speakers produce circular waves and when the two wave fronts meet, energy
is exchanged from the strong wave to the weaker wave effectively bending the
wave front so that it has the same shape as if it had been produced by a single
speaker at the panned position.  The necessary inter-aural time difference is
provided by this bent wave reaching the left ear a few mili-seconds before it
reaches the right ear.

Any sound source which is further than about 18 inches from your ears reaches
both ears at roughly the same level.  An experiment which I often use to
demonstrate this is to ask a subject to stop one ear as completely as possible,
using their finger.  Then I ask them to close their eyes and I snap my fingers
somewhere in front of them - instructing them to point at my snapping fingers.
 They are usually surprised to find that they have pointed precisely at the
snapping sound, even though the level to one ear is considerably reduced.

db