[78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 18:04:06 PDT 2011

I specifically remember having "Cinderfella," a Dot stereo album ca. 1960
that was cut with a Fairchild lathe. Don't remember the model number.

Funny thing about the Minter stereo system. When CD-4 records were mastered,
they had to be cut at half speed to get all the information in the groove.
It was the precursor of the whole half-speed mastering technique for
standard stereo LP albums. But the masters had to be cut carefully and the
vinyl had to be top grade. The Japanese CD-4 albums I had played
beautifully; there was even a quad version of the soundtrack album of "Jaws"
that was incredible. But I had an Anthony Braxton Arista CD-4 album that had
a lot of problems where the modulatory tone simply dropped out and the back
channels cut out. Too much information and too little space I guess.

Jeff Sultanof