[78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Thu Apr 21 11:40:57 PDT 2011

Mike Biel is correct.  I was referring to the Blumlein "Matrixed" method of
using a unidirectional wide pattern cardoid facing forwards, which is summed
with the left-pointing cardoid and subtracted from the right-pointing mic -
Or something like that.. :-) But anyway David is right, that is not a
correct method of capturing accurate "two-ear" imaging but can provide
exceptionally realistic sound for playback on two speakers.  (I was at work
and typing hastily.) When referring to Binaural, Stereo etc. I was going by
current-day understanding of their meaning, I realize the terms were used
differently in the past.

I have the 1952 Mercury Wilbur DeParis Cook "Binaural" LP, and wonder how on
earth anyone expected to get proper results using a twin spiral.  (Many many
years ago I stumbled upon a hoarder-of-anything who happened to have a NIB
Cook arm among his detritus.  I begged and pleaded to get it from him, who
didn't even know what it was, to no avail.)  But regardless, having two
channels is just the start of the equation; most critical is that accurate
timing of the two channels is necessary to maintain accurate phasing to
preserve the imaging used by the ear to judge direction and distance of the
source.  All early forms of record-playback equipment, except multitrack
film, could not preserve that accuracy. Even early CD players which used
only one DA convertor were anathema to Golden ears who could detect the
timing error introduced between the two channels. Staggered-head tape
machines were getting there, but still fussy, until finally stacked audio
heads and single-track record cutting were developed.  I guess the Decca
vertical-Horizontal matrixed method of cutting was similar to the Blumlein
matrixed mic pickups, and FM radio with the AM sideband subcarrier providing
the difference signal to the FM summed channel.

Steve Williams..