[78-L] Hal Kemp Orchestra 1937 Rejected Recording of 'Roustabout' - Sample Record

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Apr 21 10:16:57 PDT 2011

The Kemp victor of "I Thought About You" is one of my faves...great tune,
super chart..  brass and reeds are flawless.  Randy Brooks was playing tpt
with the band then and I think he's on lead.     The band still sounds like
Kemp but in a more updated style.

A year or so earlier,  they did a great coupling with more of the earlier
sound:  Don't Worry 'Bout Me b/w What Goes Up Must Come Down.  Two Rube
Bloom songs from some show.

Kemp always had great vocalists:  Bob Allen,  Deane Janis,  Janet
Blair...and Skinnay Ennis,  too.

Have never understood those that put down the Kemp band as tricky or
corny...recorded evidence says otherwise.

Taylor