[78-L] EQ ideas for transferring acoustic 78s?

Mike Daley mikedaley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:10:22 PDT 2011

I've been transferring a pile of acoustic 78, mostly from 1905-1915, using
GarageBand. GB has a 31-band graphic EQ plugin that I've been using to
reduce surface noise and bring out the best sounding frequencies to my ears.
When I get a good sounding curve I save it, and I've been finding that
certain curves match with record companies - thus I have a Columbia EQ, a
Victor EQ, and so on.
Here's a screenshot of the EQ:
https://picasaweb.google.com/113739142351242060883/Records?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2CxfnNztqZjQE&feat=directlink
Does anyone have tips for bringing the best out of records from this era?

thanks for any advice.

Mike