[78-L] Beach Boys 78s

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Wed Apr 20 09:07:25 PDT 2011

On 19/04/2011 01:11, David Breneman wrote:

 > OK, so I pulled out these albums.  "Endless Summer" is
 > C152-81758/59 and "Spirit of America" is C152-81887/88...
 > I doubt that these records would have been remixed to
 > something different than what was sold in the US.

I discovered a few years ago that the tapes for the British versions of
"Endless Summer" and "Spirit of America" were compiled locally, leading
to some differences. The most glaring of these is that "Shut Down" is
mono on the US LP but reprocessed stereo-from-mono on the UK. Quite why
this is the case is unknown, as it was always a true stereo cut, being
from the stereo "Surfin' USA" LP (which WAS issued in stereo in the UK.)

Then there's the first CD version of "Spirit of America," which came out
very early on in the CD age (around 1984?) The entire disc is a mono
fold-down of the stereo mixes (where applicable) or of the reprocessed
versions, mastered through a fairly hefty dynamic compressor.

On 4/18/2011 9:57 PM, Royal Pemberton wrote:
 > I meant (please forgive my scrambled reply) that Beach Boys
 > recordings had the same mixes worldwide; none of their recordings had
 > special mixes for other countries.

Mike Biel replied:
 > Do you have documentation and research on this?

There are rare exceptions, but Mark Linett and Alan Boyd have pretty
much confirmed what Royal has said through their extensive work in the
Beach Boys' tape library and web presence on the Smiley Smile message board.

Most oddities that exist (such as the version of "Break Away" on the UK
"20 Golden Greats" compilation*) have been generated from an original
mix rather than a multitrack. The exception is the odd Dutch single of
"Bluebirds Over The Mountain", where Capitol supplied a twin-track tape
with the track on the A-leg and a percussion overdub on the B-leg. An
instruction was written on the box to master it in mono with the B-leg
9dB down. The note was disregarded (although the record was cut in mono)
and the Dutch were consequently treated to a record with a deafening
percussion overdub.

Bear in mind that Beach Boys fans are second only to Beatles fans when
it comes to obsession. I remember once somebody claiming that the UK
versions of "Today" and "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!)" should be
regarded as remixes because the fades "sounded different." The mixes
were the same, but those 1960s UK cuts were so heavily compressed
dynamically (I sold mine on years ago) that the fades didn't appear to
start until they were, in reality, a few dBs down. The other side-effect
of this is that they don't appear to fade to silence, but they just cut
off (although this might have something to do with the mixer at Western
Studios, which worked on the principle of 2dB step-fades.)

*For those that don't know, this TV-advertised compilation had some
tracks which were newly reprocessed into fake stereo. However, somebody
took their ears off the monitors at one point and ran the genuine stereo
"Break Away" through the fake stereo processing. Something similar
happened with the 1977 reissue of the "Christmas Album."

Martin.