[78-L] Beach Boys 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 19 09:58:12 PDT 2011

Ironically, some of the first stereo LPs in the spring of 1958 were
marketed as being "compatible".  Bob Angus discussed this about 5 years
ago and led me to some of the ads, articles, and actual records.  But by
the summer of 58 they started the don't-play-stereo-on-mono-players
stuff.  It was not so much the .7 mil vs 1.0 mil aspect, but the lack of
vertical compliance in mono cartridges.  When Columbia led the charge in
1967 to compatibility as a reason for stopping the production of mono
records, they explained that they solve the problem by putting all of
the low bass sounds in the center channel even if the instrument
creating it was off to the side.  Bass under 100 Hz is basically
non-directional (that's why sub woofers work) and in the center channel
the needle direction is lateral.  The bass is the largest excursion part
of the groove, and it was the vertical modulation of bass that would
cause the most damage to a record played on a mono cartridge.  The
further away from center a sound is, the more vertical the modulation.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com