[78-L] fwd: Toronto Musical Collectibles Sale this weekend

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 17 18:34:45 PDT 2011

From: "Mike Daley" <mikedaley at gmail.com>
>I ended up going to this. Found a grand total of one box of overpriced rock
>and roll 78s on display among what must have hundreds of thousands of LPs
>and CDs. I did spy a small pile of 78s behind the rock and roll box that
>the dealer had just bought from another dealer, and bought around 15
>twenties dance band records from that pile, including some Grey Gulls and a
>Hit Of The Week. So it was worth the trip after all.

Some time ago, this was a MAJOR event for T.O. 78 collectors!
Lorne (who runs these shows) always set aside a few adjacent
tables for us 78 folks; we gathered together to buy/sell/trade 78's
amongst ourselves with great enthusiasm...! We gradually lost
our group to old age and/or AIDS (two of our most important
members were gay...!)!

I remain comvinced that us 78-ophiles are gradually dying off...and
that in 30 or so years the one still-surviving 78 collector will
acquire ALL the existing 78 collections/accumulations by default...?!
It is now just under 50 years since the last 78's were issued here
in Canada...!

Steven C. Barr