[78-L] The Lost Chord was Re: Obscene Jim Reeves record

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Apr 17 20:40:23 PDT 2011

No. You can't copyright a chord, a note, or even most chord progressions. There are certain instances where a brief musical phrase is distinct enough that it can be attributed to one composition, such as Ellington's "C Jam Blues," which basically has a two note melody, but there aren't many like this.

Cary Ginell