[78-L] George Formby on the other side of the pond

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 16 11:29:03 PDT 2011

Paid a visit to Whistin' Willies today. Among the goodies I was
surprised to find a George Formby 78 on Canadian Columbia --

Columbia C670 - Leaning on a Lamp Post (mx. CAR 4655) b/w You're a
La-i-ty (mx. CAR 4407)

Its a Sparton pressing that is a bit ugly with a few 'bumps and
dings' in the run in grooves! (Could this mean it was not a 1937 pressing?)

These look to match Regal Zonophone mx numbers. I see that Leaning
was on Regal Zonophone  MR.2490. Can anyone tell me what the original
Regal Zonophone release was the Canadian B-side? Was this Columbia
release in parallel with the UK release - as I see it says its from
the 1937 the film Feather Your Nest? Not even sure if the film came
out in the USA.

so -- Second question -- did he see any releases in the USA.

I am in particular looking for the scandalous and banned When I'm
Cleaning Windows - -anyone have a catalogue number for that