[78-L] Needle size cart?

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Apr 16 09:15:30 PDT 2011

Hello,
My record collection is constantly expanding. I just came upon a very
good deal last weekend at a local estate sale. I have been playing the
stack today on my old Garard changer, equipped with Stanton 500 and a 78
rpm needle. I am very pleased with the general condition of most of
them. They vary in age and style a lot which makes for an interesting mix.
I have discovered though that this leads to problems due to groove
specs. the majority of the records play with good sound and sure
tracking. However, the Pathes are not playable because the needle simply
skids across the top of the grooves. And I have a vary crisp copy of an
Eddie Cantor record on Emerson that has a terrific amount of hiss, but
low sound level.
I know that the 78 needle is only a crude match for some of these
records, so that it undoubtedly the source of my problem. Has anyone
made a list of records along with their correct playing speeds and
needle sizes?
What would be suitable matches to play the Pathes and the Emerson?
Thanks!

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.