[78-L] Randy Wood

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 14 06:39:08 PDT 2011

I've always been quite fond of the Dot label. Lots of good stuff
there. I'd almost call it the most successful 'white-oriented' indie
(as opposed to primarily black oriented Atlantic). The styles found
there are over the map.

Dot artists, The Fontaine Sisters, represent a natural bridge between
the Andrew Sisters and the girl groups of the sixties. Their sound
had its feet in both sounds.

As to the poaching from black artists, I recall a comment made by
Fats Domino about the fact that Pat Boone bested him in the charts
with covers of his stuff. Fats held up his hand and displayed a large
diamond ring and commented to the effect, thank to him (Pat Boone), I
have this.