[78-L] WE disc cutting system

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 12 15:39:01 PDT 2011

On 4/12/2011 2:53 PM, Doug Pomeroy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are many others who know more about this than I do, but
> here's my understanding:
>
> The long piece of rubber was incorporated to absorb (dampen),
> resonances in the arm, which otherwise got reflected into the
> cutter head, causing nonlinearities in the recordings.
>
> DOug

Let me add that "Arm" does not mean a tone arm or support that the
recording head would be mounted on.  There is a rod that is attached to
the armature of the cutting stylus, and this is encased in rubber.  The
rod and rubber line is about six inches long and sticks out from the
side of the recording head.

And I agree that Nick is the real expert.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com