[78-L] The original U-tube...

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Apr 9 05:43:26 PDT 2011

On 4/9/2011 3:38, Julian Vein wrote:
> Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
>> ...was an Edison cylinder.
>>
>> Speaking of, there is a really interesting one (at least to me) on Ebay
>> right now. It's 140530718770
>> "Country Bred and Chicken Fed" by Dale Winbrow.
>> I caught it only because it is mentioned in Dick Hill's book "Sylvester
>> Ahola, the Gloucester Gabriel". That's Hooley on the trumpet. It's
>> really a pullout from Paul Specht's band. According to Hill:
>> "Hoolie took a more prominent role in organizing some recording
>> sessions, which may have been some concession on the part of Paul Specht
>> to compensate for Hoolie's binding contract.
> ===============
> Strange, but as I was lying in bed this morning I started thinking about
> Ahola. Every time his name is mentioned I can't help reminding myself
> that I've never heard a solo by him (on either side of the Atlantic)
> that impressed me enough to make me want to go back for more. Or to put
> it another way, I've never found a trumpet solo that I enjoyed that,
> through further investigation, turned out to be Hooley.

Different tastes. His style leaned more on embellishment than
improvisation if you are looking for straight jazz. Later he became more
lagato in the vein of Berigan. I compare him to Miff Mole, whereas
Teagarten or Dorsey would appeal more to the modern ear.

The reason I was interested in it was because it is so unusual to have a
tune so well documented. To me it gave the song provenance. Plus, Hooley
was good friends with Lou Calabrese (whose banjo also had a more
technical, straight-up style). They were both from New England and had
parallel careers early on until they left Specht, Hooley for the UK and
Lou for the theater. They did one recording together, at Edison, which
was not released.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.