[78-L] The original U-tube...

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Fri Apr 8 18:17:51 PDT 2011

...was an Edison cylinder.

Speaking of, there is a really interesting one (at least to me) on Ebay
right now. It's 140530718770
"Country Bred and Chicken Fed" by Dale Winbrow.
I caught it only because it is mentioned in Dick Hill's book "Sylvester
Ahola, the Gloucester Gabriel". That's Hooley on the trumpet. It's
really a pullout from Paul Specht's band. According to Hill:
"Hoolie took a more prominent role in organizing some recording
sessions, which may have been some concession on the part of Paul Specht
to compensate for Hoolie's binding contract. The first of these was with
the singer and ukelele player Dale Winbrow (real name Pete Dale), with
whom the band had already worked on several broadcast dates. The idea
for the recording came from sax player Foster Morehouse, who had
originally suggested the use of an entertainer who could fill in, or
"sustain" any air-time should the band fail arrive from the regular Twin
Oaks Restaurant engagement. He became a popular feature, and it was
decided to record a couple of numbers accompanied by Hooley on trumpet,
Phil Wall on piano and Johnny Morris on drums, and Dale Winbrow (The
Del- Mar-Va Songster) and His Rubeville Tuners" (the title of
"Del-Mar-Va" makes reference to the eastern seaboard states of DELaware,
MARyland and ViginiA, and the "Rubeville Tuners" indicates, in Hollie's
words "a bunch of amateur 'Cornball' musicians").

"Country Bred and Corn Fed," written by Dale, has Johnny Morris
contributing various barnyard and crow calls, with some spectacular
trumpet playing by Hooley, credited for many years to Red Nichols."

Hooley was quoted thus:
"The Edison Company sort of frowned on jazz, which they didn't think
would sell well, so I was lucky to get a 32 bar solo, which I call my
'running water' style. Our jazz playing was obviously mistaken for
comedy effects by the Edison people and was allowed to get through. I
make the horse 'neighs" on my trumpet as well...
...We did the recordings at the Edison plant in New York, and of course,
these being acoustic recordings, with no microphone, we stood on boxes
which raised us up about a foot higher, and each of us played into large
horns, four or five feet long, each with tubing going into a secret
chamber, which we were never allowed to see. Phil Wall was on a higher
platform, so that the instruments were all on the same acoustic level,
and the music was hung from wires suspended from the ceiling on paper
clips, so there were no musical stands..."

As I recall, either the Columbia or the Diamond disk version has more
sound effects on it. I heard the song before, but did not know which
version.

Here is the discography on this number:

/Dale Winbrow (The Del-Mar-Va Songster) And His Rubeville Tuners/
Pete Dale-u-v, acc. by Sylvester Ahola-t/Phil Wall-p/Johnny Morris-d-effects

New York, Thursday, November 18, 1926
143121-3 It Takes a Good Woman (To Keep A Good Man At Home) - Columbia 821-D
143122-2 Country Bred and Chicken Fed - "

----------------------------
New York, Saturday, December 4, 1926

11346-A-B-C Country Bred And Chicken Fed - Amberol 5276 - Edison 51894
11347-A-B-C So Long North (I'm Headin' South) Edison 51894
Edison

You needn't worry about me bidding. I do not have any way of playing it.
Download the Amberol version here:
http://www.archive.org/details/edba-5276

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)