[78-L] new additions to Nat Recording Registry

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 7 20:05:55 PDT 2011

On 4/7/2011 10:52 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "David Lennick"<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> On 4/6/2011 9:56 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
>>> From: "David Lennick"<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>>>
>>> There were comedy 78's going back to the earliest days of 78's...!
>>> "No News, or What Killed the Dog" sold for years in large numbers.
>>> My personal favourite is Burt Sheppard doing "How I Got To Morrow,"
>>> which is still funny after about 110 years...!
>>> Steven C. Barr
>> LIVE comedy records. That was the distinction, that they claimed this as
>> the
>> first recorded stand-up routine. Sam Levenson's Apollos were done with an
>> audience but I don't know if they'd qualify as standup, since they were
>> rehearsed and scripted.
>>
> Question here is how much live comedy was being done on stahe (including
> vaudeville) in the "78 era"...?! I used to do "standup comedy" at local
> "talent
> shows" back  in the late fifties, before it went under that name! I hadn't
> yet
> discovered my singing talents...so I just got up on the stage at our local
> "talent shows" and told jokes! I knew any prizes would be3 given to young
> dance acts anyway///!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Professor Irwin Corey's Jubilee lp was issued in 1957. The Mort Sahl predates
it as a recording but I think it was issued later, once he'd done well on Verve.

And actually there was a fair bit of standup comedy by Max Miller on 78s around
the early 40s, but that's British. Henny Youngman also did a 78 for Bluebird.