[78-L] Adrien Beauregard

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 6 19:14:33 PDT 2011

From: "David Lewis" <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>
> Perhaps some of our Canadian friends can furnish some information on this
> record, which I recently acquired:
> Apex Francais 17053
>
> Adrien Beauregard avec l'orchestre Beauregard
> A (11616) La Chanson de Seraphin
> B (11617) Piano Rag
> The Compo Co. Limited Lachine, Que, Canada
>

> The "orchestre" is scant indeed, consisting of a bass player and drummer.
> "Piano Rag" as a wonderfully earthy and folksy feel, with lots of odd
> chords and un-raggy compound time sigs. I guess this was some sort of
> indigenous French Canadian performance; can anyone tell me when this was
> recorded (?late 40s-early 50s) and anything about the artist or style of
> the music?

"Apex Francais" replaced the "Starr" label on which Compo had issued
Qiebecois "folk" material since the early 1920's...this was c. 1956-7?...!
Sadly I can't cite a date, since my own copy of my DG is currently
hopelessly buried! I'm guessing this as being from late 1958 to early
1959...!

Steven C. Barr