[78-L] Most disgusting place in your record searches

Thatcher Graham thatcher at mediaguide.com
Wed Apr 6 06:40:54 PDT 2011

I travel for work and have seen some pretty vile spots around the
country. One stands out in my mind.

It used to be a motel I think.  It was on the 3400 block of Cajon
Boulevard, San Bernadino, CA. When I happened by it was having a yard
sale. There was a big sign in the yard, and a few tables.  I stopped and
got out of the car and wished I hadn't.

Two meth-heads with burned out front teeth greeted me at the gate and
offered to sell me anything including their big neon hotel sign. In
retrospect they may have been squatters. Every window in every building
was broken, every room was filled with years of leaves, dust sand
garbage and the detritus that only junkies can leave around. There were
heaps of records, vinyl, 45s, and 78s.  I rolled up my sleeves and took
a quick look through the least filthy stack of 78s.  I bought a few I
thought could be cleaned and promptly left.

-- TG