[78-L] Joy of collecting 78's

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Apr 5 04:18:25 PDT 2011

My favorite haunt was an old man in Fort Worth who had a barn that was literally filled with nothing but 78s. There were shelves of records that went up to the ceiling, piles of records in aisles waist high like snow banks, and the whole place was carpeted with broken records so every time you walked or moved your feet there was a crunching sound. I got lots of nice stuff from him - he used Docks' first edition as a pricing guide, which means I did well on Bluebirds and Vocalions. The most expensive item I bought from him was Blind Willie McTell's "Stole Rider Blues" on Victor for $40. Most everything else was less than $10. This was in the early 80s and he has long since passed away but I always wondered what happened to all those thousands of records that I left there.

Cary Ginell