[78-L] Stokowski on Program Transcriptions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 4 16:30:18 PDT 2011

The Victor 33RPM Master Listings (1931-34) in the ARSC Journal list several
recordings by Leopold Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra for November 18,
1933..too many, I'd think! And only one recording was issued in this form, the
Shostakovich First Symphony. I'm curious about these others and if they had
78RPM equivalents, since all are separated from what are undoubtedly 78 matrix
numbers, 2 78s to each long play side.

LCS 78420, 78423, 78426, 78429: Wagner: SIEGLINDERSCENEN; WOTANS ABSCHIED UND
FEUERZAUBER (Wotan's Farewell & Magic Fire Music)
..no 78 equivalent from this period that I can see

LCS 78432, 78436: Ravel: RHAPSODIE ESPAGNOLE, Parts 1-5
..was this recorded on ten-inch 78s? He redid it on March 17/34, 78 only

LCS 78439, 78442: Liadov: 8 RUSSIAN FOLK DANCES, Parts 1-4
..again, recorded March 17/34, 78s (a ten-inch and a twelve-incher)

LCS 78445, 78448, 78451, 78454, 78457..SYMPHONY #1 BY "A. SZOSTAKOWICZ"
Issued in manual and auto sequence, on noisy shellac pressings (why no
z-shellac?) and on 78s. The discography suggests that the PTs might have been
dubbed from the 78s but this is definitely not the case..the 78s fade in and
out and the PT sides play straight through. This raises the old question of
whether the PTs were recorded simultaneously or separately..but if they did
everything here on this one day, there would definitely have been no time for
multiple takes.

The Shostakovich seems to be the last original symphonic recording made for the
Program Transcription series. There are others in 1934 but they're all dubs
from 78s.