[78-L] Question 1812 Overture

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 2 14:32:50 PDT 2011

Columbia began recording 16-inch lacquers in late 1939, initially as safeties
but before long as source material for 78 issues and later for lps. However,
English and European Columbia didn't go near tape or 33rpm for a long time so
those early Columbia LPs issued from England were dubbed from 78s, usually very
poorly. Columbia eventually relegated these to their Entre label, unless the
recordings were of historical importance (Szigeti, Weingartner et al). And yes,
I've always felt that the 78 transfers sounded far superior and made a
deliberate point of using them when I was doing reissues for Pearl and Dante.
There are those who grew up with the early lps and preferred them. Note that
echo was often added during the lp transfers. Note also that a lot of
Columbia's early lps were dubbed direct from the lacquers, since they were
working on the format well before 1948 and tape hadn't been introduced, so the
engineers had to be pretty quick in accomplishing side joins LIVE. Nothing any
competent radio operator of the 40s and 50s didn't know how to do in his sleep.

dl