[78-L] Dick Robertson

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 23:48:20 PDT 2011

Dan Kj wrote:
 I don't know (or care) if "Eugene Chadbourne" is a real person, but that
name is attached to many Allmusic 'articles' & every one of them is slop.
Allmusic (neither know nor care what the hell its purpose is supposed to be)
should be sent to the grimriper, who will remove its grinding noises.

I worked there for nine years. Eugene is a real person; he is an entertaining
and talented guitarist who really, IMHO, ought not to besmirch his good name
by writing these things. Eugene's understanding about old musicians is tempered
by a lot of old, incomplete information and I don't think he looks very many
things up. Conversely, there are too few people knowledgeable in this area in
editorial that can check these things. I rewrote or replaced a lot of them
myself, and still came nowhere near to what was needed; if I had, I wouldn't have
been able to cover my own assignments.

I'm no longer at AMG; haven't been there since June, slimmed out in a corporate
downsize. I'm pretty sure I looked at Dick Robertson and Scrappy both as candidates
for good articles, but wasn't able to get to either before the axe fell. And I'm
scheduled to open for Chadbourne on a date here in Cincinnati in a couple of weeks;
I haven't seen him in more than 20 years. It will be all I can do to keep silent
about this, and I hope he doesn't bring it up.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com