[78-L] Minor discovery

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:28:27 PDT 2011

Noting it is April 1, and that this is not a major discovery, a record
collector locally loaned me a nice find. I have a strange hunch I posted
this before, but . . .here's the tale.

Years ago, he searched for Arkie Shibley ("Hot Rod Race #l1-5"), only to
learn Shibley had died.However he found Leon Kelly, Shibley's guitarist and
interviewed Leon before he died. About a year ago, he found in his files, or
received from a local musician, a 45 minute home recording from 1956 of
Arkie and Shibley practicing during a Christmas gathering. The songs are
mostly the two of them doing Hank Thompson, and Hank Garland songs. One is,
"Green Lights," which I posted on WesternSwing78 blog. Not Bix, but to a CW
buff, a fun find. Too modest a find to be an April Fool joke, but a nice
recovery of a genre changer. Shibley's Hot Rod theme became a genre
following his release of, "Hot Rod Race."

df