[78-L] FW: A major Bix discovery

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Apr 1 09:01:33 PDT 2011

Nope.

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 11:50 AM
To: 78-L Mail List
Subject: Re: [78-L] FW: A major Bix discovery

Here's the label (I hope non-TONYites can open this):
2081345/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=81&count=20&dir=asc

dl

On 4/1/2011 9:43 AM, Cary Ginell wrote:

>> From our mischievous Italian friend, Enrico.
>
> The original post has a scan of a beautifully mocked up Bix&  His Rhythm
Jugglers Gennett label.

> Too bad today is April 1.
>
> Cary Ginell
>
> Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 10:18:01 +0200
> Subject: A major Bix discovery
> From: enrico.borsetti at gmail.com
> To: enrico.borsetti at gmail.com
>
> IS IT A FAKE?
> WHAT DO YOU THINK?

wonderful days at Phil's "Tribute To Bix" bash and with a nice pile of 78's
in my suitcase (including an Autograph of "Prince Of Wails" by Lampe's
Orchestra, found in Chicago!).

> My Dutch friend and neighbour Frits Palir, although a jazzfan but not a 78
collector, is often in the US on business and usually keeps an eye out for
records which he thinks could be interesting for me.

> To be honest, he has never brought me anything of great importance but it
is always nice to see what he comes up with.

> One early evening, a few days after my return, Frits dropped by and handed
me five 78's.
> "From a second-hand book and record shop near Boise, Idaho" he added.
> I didn't immediately look at them but poored him a glass of wine and we
chatted about my trip to Racine.

> After half an hour Frits had to go home so politely I looked at the
records - the first one was a Banner by Sam Lanin, the second "Stack O' Lee
Blues" by Waring's Pennsylvanians on Victor and the third a Gennett: "Diego
Montes" by Nathan Glantz and his Orchestra.

> And then I looked at the other side of the Gennett.
> I had stood up to see Frits out and had picked up the records from the
table to have a quick look before he went.

> However, when I turned the Gennett over I half fainted, my legs turned to
jelly and I sank back in my chair.

> "Very nice this one Frits" I mumbled, "very nice".
> "Yes" he said, "I know you're keen on Bix and thought you might like it".
>
> Not bothering to look at the last two, I carefully put the records back on
the table.
> All I wanted was to be alone with the Gennett and for Frits to go away.
> I'd explain to him later.
>
> Half dazed I saw him out and went back into the room.
> I did not immediately dare to look at the record again, half afraid that I
was dreaming.
> Instead I switched on the amplifier (it takes a few minutes to heat up)
and the pre-amp.
> I then turned to the records again. I lifted the Banner and the Victor and
there it was.
> The label looked me straight in the face.
> "No One Knows What It's All About" by Bix and his Rhythm Jugglers it said.
Gennett 5652.

> I broke out in a sweat. This is serious. This a lost Bix recording. But it
cannot be in one piece - such things do not happen.

> With trembling hands I took it out of the sleeve. Good heavens. E
condition and undamaged.
> "Careful" I said to myself, "Don't drop it. Before you do ANYTHING else,
make an MP3 transfer and email it to yourself. If a bomb drops on the house
(and it probably will) at least the music will be safe on the World Wide
Web.

> I turned on the digital recorder and lifted the cover off the record
player.
> With superhuman concentration I managed to place the Gennett on the
turntable and switched it on.

> Suddenly it went through my head. "I haven't looked at the number in the
wax - what if it is mis-labelled and just another Glantz side?" Too late
now. It was already spinning and I had to play and record it first.

> I was now trembling violently and with even greater concentration I put
the arm on the outer rim of the record.

> The needle slid in the groove and after the hissy intro which seemed to
last forever, the record came to life.

>   We are now a few weeks later and after many sleepless nights it has sunk
in.

> A third Rhythm Jugglers side exists. Forget Zulu's Ball, forget the Mona
Lisa - this is the most important work of art in the history of mankind.

> After I made that first transfer I played it all night long, until
daylight. Maybe a hundred times.

> I will not dwell now on everything that happens on the record - except
that Bix and Don Murray both have solos and that it is the "blank" take,
just like the other two issued titles from that session.

> I have now cleaned the record and done a full audio restoration which
turned out very nice;  the disc is in a beautiful E condition and well
recorded.

> I will of course make the side available on CD but the plan is also to
manufacture facsimile (vynil) 78 rpm copies of Gennett 5652 - with the exact
labels and the same Glantz title on the reverse side.

> The price will depend on the number that are pressed, therefore I would
like to start a pre-order survey.

> Please let me know if you are interested so I can get an idea of the
quantity I need.
> Before I place the order I will let you know the costs.
>
> And before you ask - yes, Frits Palir will receive half of the money and
the last two records were a Nat Shilkret Victor and a Harry James red
Columbia.

> I have send this email to as many collectors and Bix enthousiasts as I
know but I'd be grateful if you could also spread the word today.