[78-L] Curly Hicks

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Mar 31 20:20:22 PDT 2011

From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> True....and Jimmie Rodgers on the first 10" one.  I guess in a lot of
> cases
> Bluebird could also be considered a budget reissue label.
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:
>> Wasn't it the other way around? Victor started Bluebird first (1933) and
>> had name artists like Louis Armstrong on it right off the bat. Bluebird
>> wasn't started to combat Decca because U.S. Decca didn't exist until
>> 1934.
>> It was Decca that was trying to compete with Bluebird and the dime store
>> labels.
>> Cary Ginell

My red-faced error!! Of course BB antedates Decca...they were actually
trying to compete with the ARC "cheap labels" (including Vocalion!).
These labels showed there was a market for inexpensive records,
particularly if they included reissies by "name artists!" Victor had MANY
performances worth reissuing...! The interesting aspect of this is that
(1) there were a few "house bands" on BB that were specific to that
label and not issued on Victor... and (2) Victor quickly issued almost
all of their blues and c & w artists to BB fron Victor...!

In fact blues people highly value the many BB blues sides...!

Steven C. Barr