[78-L] Question 1812 Overture

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 31 20:07:58 PDT 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 1924 1812 issued on a Cleveland
Orchestra commemorative LP?

I think Sokoloff's performances are great, especially the Rocky II and that
fabulously decadent Prelude in C# Minor. And Rachmaninoff approved (and worked
on) the cuts made in the Symphony. For my money, that's still the only way to
play it. The only LP version that comes close is Wallenstein's.

Sorry for the thread hijack, folks.

dl