[78-L] Question 1812 Overture

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Thu Mar 31 11:50:40 PDT 2011

No early version that _I_ know of uses cannons, but the Grenadier Guards version I mentioned uses heavy percussion very effectively in the close; it must have been extremely difficult to record, but it is very exciting and festively clamourous.  Really worth a listen.

I should dig out my early HMV electric with Eugene Goossens and the Covent Garden orchestra -- I remember it being quite good as well.  I like Sokoloff's hell-for-leather acoustic Brunswick  with the Cleveland Orchestra, but I've never heard the "Light Ray" electric remake, which might be fascinatingly horrible, sonically.  Has anyone here (I'm sure they have)?