[78-L] Curly Hicks

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Mar 30 21:18:34 PDT 2011

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> I was right. Kevin Coffey has indeed delved into the Curly Hicks
> situation in depth, and is even in touch with family members of one of
> the men who played accordion with the group. Here's his note to me.

Not that the first years of Bluebird (1932-34?) featured "house
bands/artists" unrelated to their Victor counterparts,,,! Victor
was figuring out how to compete with the ARC "cheap labels"...
later, they started featuring "name artists" (i.e. BG & Miller)
on their 35-cent label in order to compete with Jack Kapp's
35-cent Decca label...!

Steven C. Barr