[78-L] Record collection brings laughs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Mar 30 21:01:41 PDT 2011

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I almost considered posting the motto that could be in the kitchen of a
> German
> fast foodery, "Arbeit Macht Fries", but thought better of it. Glancing
> through
> "The Grouchophile" I see that Groucho played Toronto in 1915 and
> anti-German
> sentiment was so strong that when he ordered "German Fries" he was told
> they
> were now called "home fries". I did not know that.

Interesting! I also had never heard that story...although it makes sense.
However, "home fries" are NOT the same as German fried potatoes
(which I sometimes ciook at home)! To prepare "German-style fried
potatoes (a taste for which I acquired while in Germany (Garmisch-
Partenkirchen) for the USAF. I liked their fried kartoffeln so much that
I asked the cook at my local hangout (Stammtisch) how to prepare
them...

Chop an onion finely and put that into a skillet. Then slice 2-4 potatoes
about 1/8" thick. Put those in the skillet. and add enough water ro cover
the potatoes. Let that cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, so
that the potatoes are both fried and boiled at the same time. Then turn
up the heat, and boil off all the water; allow the potato-onion mixture
to fry for a short time (3-5 minutes). Tastes like the fried potatoes I
so often enjoyed at my two German "hangouts" back in 1967-70...!

Steven C. Barr