[78-L] Early lacquer mastering

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Mar 30 08:52:14 PDT 2011

On 3/30/2011 11:19 AM, Doug Pomeroy wrote:
> Mike Biel, who knows more about instantaneous recording discs than
> anyone else, says the earliest were made by Presto in late 1934.
>
> Doug Pomeroy
> audiofixer at verizon.net

Of course they had been working on developing them for a while and some
lacquers have shown up as early as July 1934 -- Seth Winner has some.
But the question was when record companies started to use them instead
of wax or wax flow coats for plating for pressings.  So 1935 and 36
would be likely since it would take a while for companies to experiment
and modify their equipment.  I haven't had the time to start thumbing
thru the Victor ledgers, for example, to see where the first notation of
"Lacquer" in the "Wax" column takes place.  That column would have a
number if a wax cake was used or "Flowed" if the used the flow-coat
technique of melting a wax wedge onto a heated metal base which is what
Western Electric developed for vertical transcriptions.  Film also shows
up in a few cases.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com