[78-L] a bit OT - Pack Rats TV Show

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Mar 29 21:45:05 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Laxton" <greg.laxton at gmail.com>
> Pack Rats is hosted by a buddy of mine, Ben Friedman.  He used to front a
> rockabilly band called the Cigar Store Indians.  Wonderful guy.
>
> He's busy with the show Cafe Racer - haven't heard when/if there's a
> season
> 2 of Pack Rats.
>
> The Pack Rats show on vinyl was good, but I'd urge you all to give the
> other Pack Rat episodes a look...all about
> guys and their collections!
>
> Here's more on Ben -
>
> http://www.benfriedmanmusic.com/Home.html

I shall have to admit that I am SICK and FREAKING TIRED of the
abuse of us "pack rats!!!"Were it not for us...there would be NO museums...
NO "antique stores"...no ANYTHING that involves the preservation of
artifacts...!! Everything MUST go through at least three phases:

1. ) New and thus worth owning
2.) "Obsolete" and thus (usually) to be discarded as "junk."
3.) "Rare, valuable and "collectable" "Antique"

Particularly those of us on 78-L "collect" and thus preserve items which
the "general public" regards as "useless junk:...often much to the dismay
of our family, friends, neighbours and local building inspectors...!
Imagine a world in which all the paintings we cherish had been destroyed
on the grounds that they were "obsolete and worthless"...?!

Steven C. Barr (PROUD "pack rat"...and son of one as well!!!)