[78-L] Early lacquer mastering

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Tue Mar 29 12:32:04 PDT 2011

 Some time ago there was a question about when the switch from wax to lacquer mastering took place. I happened across a youtube video of Brunswick 8008 Teddy Wilson mxs 21984/5 recorded Nov. 1, 1937. The video just shows the label-it's a West Coast pressing and both sides exhibit what appears to be the latent outline of a drive hole. I've never seen a wax master display such markings so I'm guessing this may be an artifact of a lacquer disc. A bit earlier than I would have expected, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4cqrZs4iJ8&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9LTnsYrXzs&feature=related

DJD

Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com